Waterfall's resident Mario fan. Math/Mathematics | He/Him | Trans Dude
Most Toads of the Mushroom Kingdom admire Mario.
Except the Mushroom Fire Brigade. The Toad firefighters are a little less fond of Mario and his tendency to burn things.
It's interesting to think about how the perception of Mario as a character has changed or would've based on the voice given.
Brooklyn Mario - The deeper voice and Brooklyn accent leads you to find him more serious as a character. He's probably also older, much more sarcastic/cynical in his speak. Kind of in the middle with how much he speaks (that is, not a chatterbox but also not quiet).
Current Mario - The happy wahoo man. Definitely naïve in some ways, but he finds the fun in many-a scenario. Doesn't talk much––way more of an actions-speak-louder guy.
Super Mario 64 Beta Mario - (Here's a link of said voice clips.) Walking disaster of a man. Probably gets way too hyped for things. Talks a lot in rapid-fire. Could probably stand to stop for once in his life and take a breather.
Autumn Bros. despite it being very much not autumn.
Small headcanon: Luigi tends to fiddle with his clothes a lot (readjusting his gloves, pulling at his overall straps, sometimes taking his cap off to rub his thumb over it, etc.). He also used to nail-bite until he began wearing gloves to help prevent it (with Mario getting gloves as well because their clothes must match by twin law), but it kinda just translated to cheek-biting.
Super Mario Mother's Day related headcanons (death mention in first bullet)
2) Daisy doesn't celebrate Mother's Day on account of having two dads. She just celebrates Father's Day.
3) Rosalina's old kingdom didn't have such a day. When she decided not to leave the Mushroom Planet and live beside it instead, she eventually learned of the holiday's existence. She now takes the time to read the storybook she wrote and sadly reflects for the rest of the day with the Lumas.
4) Mario and Luigi visit Mamma and Papà at Metro Kingdom and have supper made by Luigi. One year, they invited Peach, Daisy and Rosalina to join them. Although it's usually a somber day for both Peach and Rosalina, they had a good time.
5) Wario visits his Bandit mom, Barbara. Waluigi comes along since Barbara's like, "Of course he can come, he's practically a second son to me! ...Would be nice if he actually, legally was through marriage or something like that, Wario."
6) Bowser buys Kamek some flowers he ropes some of his kids into helping him choose. Bowser tried one holiday to cook, but Kamek forbade him from ever doing that again once the fire was eventually put out.
7) Since Mona's parents are usually away because of their jobs and Ashley's parents aren't there for one reason or another, they spend the day together. Ashley won't admit it, but she finds it fun.
Although the Luigi Protection Squad remains strong, membership for the Mario Protection Squad has grown exponentially during the fifth tournament. Just like Luigi has no idea about the Luigi Protection Squad, Mario also has no idea about the Mario Protection Squad.
Mary O., whenever she would get the chance to meet Mario and the other Super Mario Maker crew, would try to talk to them about the moves they do to beat levels (like triple jumps, long jumps, spins, etc.). Unfortunately, she doesn't get quite the answers she would expect.
Luigi is a bit more aware, but his naming conventions for what he does are unconventional. He refers to long jumps as "and then you go u-wah! *throws arms back* Like that, you know?"
Toadette actually knows the names of the moves. She and Mary O. can talk for a good while about level designing since they're usually on the same page.
Bucken-Berry knows the names of the basic moves... and then some. It turns out Buck is a huge fan of kaizo and troll levels. He would go on about P-switch jumps, midair shell jumps or anti-softlocks and Mary O. would be like stop, please, this is too much. Mary O. is contemplating asking Yamamura who could possibly be designing such levels.
The "Big Red" nickname for Mario makes sense, but every time I hear it I can't help but think of the soda drink and then that leads to the image of Mario wearing a Big Red soda can costume like he's helping advertise for it.supermario
"It's a cruel world out there, paisano. Why don't you go treat yourself and buy a Big Red, will ya?"
Although she doesn't really tell anyone, Daisy has limited clairvoyance (think of it as a "third eye" ). It isn't really helpful in a major way (she only got the sense something bad was about to happen when Tatanga was right about to kidnap her, for instance), but it can help in judging people's characters.
So when she was around Luigi for a while, she picked up... a sort of vibe. Ominous. Like he had been or was meant to fulfill some terrible prophecy. To become a villain underneath his brother's shadow, to be the foe-ish foil, the dark and Moon and striking lightning to his brother's light and Sun and warm fire.
And yet he defied it. Even though he was jealous and felt inferior to him, he still chose his brother over it all, because they're bros and they love each other. It is something Daisy really admires about Luigi.
Venn Bro Diagram.
Okay but this is adorable? The MarioWiki only says it's a Mario Party 4 manga––doesn't give more deets than that. I tried translating the Japanese text using Google Translate, and what I got was "Overnight carnival! Tatsumi Shin." I assume Tatsumi Shin is the creator, perhaps?
Hellen Gravely at the start of Luigi's Mansion 3 probably thought that Mario was gonna be the hardest to get in a portrait, but no, it turns out he ordered and ate like a few pizzas and then I can only assume promptly passed out into a food coma.
Some connected headcanons (of the Mario variety):
The language spoken at home was Italian, so it was the bros' first language. Where they lived in the Metro Kingdom also had many Italian speakers, so it wasn't until school when the bros really started to learn English.
Once they reached adulthood, Mario and Luigi moved out and got a variety of jobs (construction, wrecking, factory work, etc.) in order to make ends meet. They eventually established a plumbing business and after some limited success, moved to the Mushroom Kingdom which was always in need of plumbers because of the amount of pipes there.
However, of course, while in the Metro Kingdom, there was the Pauline-Donkey Kong incident. Mario was in the middle of a construction job when this occurred, and he only felt it right to help a person in need. Also, before this, Mario and Pauline had met before, but only in a quick job to repair a broken sink (this was also the bros first stint in the plumbing industry). A little after the incident, Pauline asked Mario out. The resulting relationship didn't last long, but they broke up amicably and remained friends afterwards.
I tried to mimic the art style of this adorable official art of Luigi for Super Smash Bros. 64 (though it came out more so as my own style, just more cutesy, ha).
maro: nice of the princess 👸 to invite us over for a picnic 🍱 eh luigi?
lugigi: i hope she made lotsa spaghetti 🍝
A couple of Super Mario headcanons, lovingly grown at your local headcanon farm.
2) Rosalina isn't the type to laugh out loud. She'll tell you afterwards that jokes were "humorous," but she won't actually laugh... except at Luigi's anti-jokes. She finds those really hilarious for some reason.
3) Mario does the speedrunning tricks/techniques/glitches at times (like backwards long jumping), especially when he gets restless. Mario scared Bowser one time doing it because one moment, Bowser was chilling alone in his throne room, and then the next moment Mario's next to him saying, "Hello! :D Here's your invite to the next tennis match!"
(Mario apologized afterward for scaring him. Bowser vehemently denied such claims of being startled and told Mario to get out of his castle after getting his invite.)
4) Luigi calls Mario's BLJ trick the "yayaya thing."
World of Light Headcanon:
When the two finally reunited, it was a rare scene of Mario crying and Luigi comforting him rather than the other way around. (Not that Luigi minded. Not at all.) (And okay maybe Luigi did cry a little.)
A few Super Mario headcanons
How Mario's gonna get hurt in the next fighter reveal prediction:
The next fighter is Bandana Waddle Dee. They're cheerfully saying hi to everybody as their friends congratulate them. They don't look behind them as they position their spear over their shoulder, and unintentionally poke Mario who was walking up to say hi to them. It was a weak poke and Mario only gave a quiet "ow," but Bandana Waddle Dee still profusely apologizes with teary eyes.
Sephiroth: God, I hate plucky, happy-go-lucky protagonists. *tries to kill Mickey Mouse and Mario*
I love the Italian gibberish Mario and Luigi talk with in the Mario & Luigi series... especially since you'll often hear them end sentences with "fratello," which is very adorable.
Mario: I have never, and I will never, say the word "fuck."
Mario, realizing a few seconds later: OH NO!